Dozens were killed in a collision of two buses in central Senegal | News

Emergency services said the accident occurred near Kafrine, in central Senegal.

At least 40 people have been killed and 87 others injured after two buses collided near Kafrine, in central Senegal.

The accident occurred on National Road No. 1 at 3:15 am (03:15 GMT) on Sunday.

President Macky Sall said 40 people were killed in the “grave” incident and declared three days of national mourning.

The bus, with a capacity of 60 seats, was heading to Rosso near the border with Mauritania, the fire brigade said, adding that the number of people on board was unknown.

“It was a serious accident,” Col. Cheikh Fall, chief of operations for the National Fire Brigade, told AFP, adding that 87 people were injured in the accident.

He added that the victims were taken to a hospital and medical center in Kafrin. Since then, debris and demolished buses have been cleared, Fall said, and normal traffic has resumed.

Prosecutor Sheikh Ding said early investigations indicated that the accident occurred when “a bus designated for public passenger transport, after a tire burst, left its lane before colliding head-on with another bus oncoming in the opposite direction.” .

“I am deeply saddened by the tragic road accident,” President Sall said on Twitter. He added, “I extend my deepest condolences to the families of the victims, and I wish a speedy recovery for the injured.”

See also  The United States and Germany are trying to resolve differences over tanks for Ukraine

Experts say this is one of the highest death tolls from a single accident in recent years in a country where road accidents are common largely due to lack of driver discipline, poor roads and rickety vehicles.

In October 2020, at least 16 people were killed and 15 injured when a bus collided with a refrigerated truck in western Senegal. Local media said at the time that the truck was transporting the fish to Dakar.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.