Britain’s deputy prime minister said an investigation into an earlier complaint against Chris Pincher had not recommended “formal disciplinary action”, with a former senior government employee accusing the government of dishonesty.
Pincher, who has overseen party discipline and welfare within the Conservative Party, resigned from his post last week after allegations of improper conduct.
However, the deputy prime minister on Tuesday acknowledged that there had been a previous accusation of professional misconduct against Pincher.
“There was a complaint made by someone he works with [in the Foreign Office] About inappropriate behavior ”, Dominic Raab told Sky News.
Raab said he agreed that the complaint “must be reviewed under the auspices of the civil services, to ensure it was done without fear or favour.”
He added that the review “did not recommend formal disciplinary action.” However, Rapp said he spoke to “Pincher about the inappropriate behavior and explained it in no uncertain terms [that] It must stop – it must never be repeated.”
The matter was also referred to the Cabinet Office’s Fitness and Ethics team for “additional assurance,” Raab said. The Panel found that the case did not warrant further action under the Ministerial Act.
The news came as Lord Simon MacDonald, a former permanent secretary at the Foreign Office, wrote on Tuesday that Pincher was under formal investigation while as a minister in the department in 2019, and that Prime Minister Boris Johnson had been informed.
in message MacDonald told the Parliamentary Standards Commissioner that Number 10’s original claim that Johnson was unaware of “specific allegations” about Pincher’s behavior was “incorrect”.