The 11-alarm fire broke out at 8:15 a.m. Friday at the Majestic Industries warehouse on Passage Street.
On Saturday morning, after working through the night in the bitter cold, firefighters were still engaged in putting out the blaze.
As of 7 a.m., the fire was not fully under control but was under control, Mayor Hector Lora said.
The fire broke out at the Majestic Industries warehouse, which makes gaming and hospitality furniture for casinos and bingo venues, and Qualco Inc. was involved in the production of chlorine particles used to treat pools and spas. Spread to a nearby building for use.
No one was on the premises except the security officer who called the officers when the fire broke out.
“It’s a blessing I got out of there. I think that building is like mine. I work there, it grows on you. It hurts a little bit,” Justin Johnson said.
The two buildings together spread over 200,000 square feet and Lora said the city would be the worst fire ever seen.
Authorities were concerned about possible air quality issues, however, and firefighters’ swift action prevented the flames from reaching the area where more than 100,000 pounds of chlorine particles were stored.
There was further concern about the possibility of eviction from a nearby residential area, but that too was avoided.
Governor Bill Murphy provided evidence to assess air quality from the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection.
“They made an assessment based on air quality and you can see they are constantly fighting this fire behind us. But they were able to control the fire as a direct result of the significant response of firefighters and emergency responders. It was not achieved by the main chemical plant,” Lora said in a video posted on Facebook.
The air quality was considered safe and no forced exhausts were ordered.
More than a dozen firefighters were injured on the voyages and falls, including sprained ankles, bumps and bruises, and millions of gallons of water were used to extinguish the fire as the ice froze immediately below freezing temperatures.
A firefighter was hit in the face with debris and taken to hospital, but was later released.
Submit a newsletter
Copyright © 2022 WABC-TV. All rights reserved.