Two potential military resupply and maintenance bases have been established in southern Ukraine and Crimea, Maxar satellite images show, and may be used to help boost and resupply operations in and near Mariupol.
why does it matter: In a note to reporters, Maksar said that Russian ground forces continue to move towards eastern Ukraine, where the stage is being prepared for a large-scale offensive in the Donbass region.
- These deployments include dozens of armored vehicles, tented troops and support equipment stationed in fields and farms near Russian towns about five miles east of the Ukrainian border.
- The numerous caravanserais that roam the east of Ukraine together contain more than 200 vehicles.
- There are indications of continued artillery shelling in and around Mariupol. Smoke and fire were seen coming from a number of buildings as well as from an iron and steel plant – where some of the last Ukrainian forces in the city are believed to be fortified.
The Big Picture: Other photos taken by Maxar It recently showed a Russian convoy moving south through the eastern town of Veliky Burluk towards the Donbass region.
- The carrier was at least eight miles long and consisted of hundreds of armored vehicles and trucks carrying artillery and support equipment.
- She stressed that her estimates are likely to be much lower than the actual numbers, because the ongoing fighting has delayed documentation efforts.