Shakira caused a stir with her latest single, which features lyrics that appear to be aimed at her former lover, Gerard Pique.
The Colombian musician separated from the former Barcelona player in June 2022, amid rumors that Pique was unfaithful.
On a new track produced with Argentine DJ Bizarrap titled “BZRP Music Sessions #53”, Shakira It appears that she is targeting her ex-partner of 11 years.
The song’s lyrics make thinly veiled references to Piqué, as well as his new girlfriend Clara Chia Marty.
Here are eight of the most brutal barbs of the track…
1. “So much talk of being a hero / And when I needed you, you gave me the worst version of you”
2. “Sorry baby, I should have kicked you out a while ago / A coyote like me isn’t for beginners”
3. “This is for you to fear / Chew and swallow and swallow and chew”
4. “I’m just making music, sorry it caused you”
As sung in Spanish, this line says, “Yo solo hago música, perdón que te salpique,” making the last word (salpique) a pun on Piqué’s name.
5. “My mother-in-law left me as a neighbor / Media outlets at my door and I owe the government”
This line is a clear reference to Shakira Legal battle over alleged tax fraud (which it has denied).
6. “She’s got a good person’s name / It’s clearly not what it seems.”
The Spanish word for “clearly,” “claramente,” is used here as an obvious pun on Clara Xia Marti, with Shakira elaborating on the word to emphasize that.
7. “I’m equal to two 22 / I traded my Ferrari for a Twingo / I traded my Rolex for a Casio watch”
Rumor has it that Pique’s new girlfriend, who is 23, started seeing the footballer back when she was 22. His birthday is on the 2nd of February.
8. “Lots of time in the gym, but your brain also needs a little work.”
Pique has not yet responded to the new song. The Independent Contact a representative for comment.