The UN leader has condemned the deadly attack by the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen

SADA / NEW YORK, Yemen, Jan 21 (Reuters) – United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has condemned Friday’s airstrikes in Yemen that killed at least 60 people at a Houthi-controlled detention center in the Houthi-controlled stronghold of Saudi Arabia. Province.

A Reuters witness said several people, including African immigrants, were killed in the attack. Guterres’ spokesman Stephen Dujarric said there had been reports of more deadly airstrikes elsewhere in Yemen, including children among those killed.

“The airstrikes on telecommunications facilities in Hodeidah have significantly affected key Internet services across much of the country,” Dujarric said in a statement. “The Secretary-General calls for immediate, effective and transparent investigations into these incidents to ensure accountability.”

Sign up now for unlimited free access to Reuters.com

Three children were reportedly killed in the western city of Hodeidah, Save the Children said in a statement.

The Saudi-led military coalition has been fighting the Houthi-linked Houthi group in Yemen since 2015. The coalition said Friday’s report of dozens of deaths would be investigated “using an internationally recognized, independent process.”

It has intensified Air strikes It says Houthi military targets after the group launched an unprecedented attack on a coalition member United Arab Emirates More missiles and drones will be launched in Saudi cities on Monday.

Earlier in the day, at a news conference on Friday, Guterres said: “This expansion must be stopped.”

Duterte said Guterres reminded all parties that “we have a duty to adhere to the principles of proportion, difference and precaution and to ensure that civilians are protected from the dangers posed by military action.”

The UN Security Council condemned the Houthi attack on other bases in the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia in a statement issued Friday morning after a closed door meeting demanded by the United Arab Emirates. The United Arab Emirates joined the 15-member council this month for a two-year term.

When asked about the airstrikes on Yemen on Friday, the United Arab Emirates said the UN Ambassador Lana Nusaibe told reporters: “The Coalition is committed to upholding international law and the proportional response to all its military operations.”

On Friday, US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken spoke with Saudi Foreign Minister Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud to reaffirm the United States’ commitment to help Gulf allies improve their security.

Coalition intervention after the Houthis ousted an internationally recognized government from the capital, Sanaa, has led to clashes that have killed tens of thousands of people, displaced millions and pushed Yemen to the brink of famine.

Sign up now for unlimited free access to Reuters.com

Report by the Yemen team in New York and Michelle Nichols; Written by Michael Nichols and Guida Contus; Editing: William McLean and Daniel Wallis

Our standards: Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

See also  Oakbrook Mall shooting: 4 shots inside Oakbrook center, 1 in custody, police | Watch live

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.